Friday, February 18, 2011

oh this humidity


This weather does nothing for my appearance.  I am sweaty, blotchy, always slightly red from the heat and my hair is in a perpetual high bun with a halo of frizz around my face.  Seriously, the photo evidence has not been kind.  This wouldn’t be so bad if Ghanaians weren’t so darned well-dressed and put together.  Everyone here is always dressed in freshly pressed, beautiful clothing.  Locals iron everything down to their t-shirts and usually wear dress pants, leather dress shoes (or pumps) and collared shirts or blouses day-to-day - regardless of the temperature.

My frizzy/blotchy state wouldn’t be such a big deal if it was paired with smart looking business clothes.  However, last summer when we went to Asia we got a wee bit swept up in that whole “backpacking” thing and purchased a lot of “quick-dry” items that we would surely NEED for our trip.  When we got to Cambodia, we just ended up looking like total nerds in weird outdoors-gear while everyone else was in cute summer clothes and sundresses.  Packing for this trip, I wanted to get more use of my awkward quick-dry pants so into the backpack they went.  I have regretted that decision since the moment I stepped off the plane.  

Maybe if they fit properly, this wouldn’t be such a big issue.  However, it has now become quite apparent that I was a bit (ahem) “rounder” last summer and these pants are literally hanging off me.  That, and the fact that I somehow thought I could pass them off as dress pants when everyone we meet are practically wearing suits was totally ridiculous. Frizzy/blotchy... fine.  Awkward pants on their own... manageable.  Together... yikes.

But just for the record, I will say that my quick-dry towel is a total dream come true.

2 comments:

Meghan B said...

Haha, awesome. Is clothing inexpensive there? Maybe you could pick-up some local threads.

Eileen said...

Ha! Remember what I said before you left? "Don't worry too much about clothes because whatever you take will be wrong."

You're more stubborn than I am, though. I carried around my quick dry pants for six months and didn't wear them once!

Post a Comment