Wednesday, February 2, 2011

first week of workshops


January 31st

Phew... what a big week!  We gave our first workshops to all grade levels at the YMCA Vocational School, met with students from the OIC school to form the Environmental Club and facilitated another lengthy workshop on HIV/AIDS for the second year students at the YMCA.  
 
I’m not going to lie.  I had a tough go at the beginning of the week, struggling with my role here, as a Canadian, the whole concept of “International Development” and the many pros and cons of being a foreigner hoping to help someone in a completely different culture and country than my own.  

After an amazing chat with Fred, I am confident and back on my feet... ready to work!  He reminded me of the importance of relationship building and the significance for these students to know that their peers in other countries care enough to not only share ourselves with them, but to learn from the people here and take that knowledge back to Canada.   He told me that many times the girls at the school don’t feel comfortable to talk to teachers and the staff there and that they will ask us many important questions about some sensitive issues because they feel comfortable with us.   He also brought up the important point of peer-to-peer education and the different form of experiential and participatory learning we bring to Ghanaian classrooms.  He said that having them participate in such interactive lessons builds more confidence and pride than I will probably understand in my short time here. 

These were only a handful of the many reasons that Fred used to remind me how important it is to be a global citizen and that reaching out to help someone, regardless of who they are, is always, always a good thing.  Even when it’s tough.

Our classes have been going really well and I think we are all starting to find our footing as a group.  I am most excited about the workshop that I will be facilitating on consent and sexual violence in a few weeks’ time (Outreachers: I’m thinking of all of you!!).  The workshops are challenging and our workload is piling up quickly but we are all still excited to be here and so grateful to have the chance to meet such wonderful people each day at the schools where we volunteer.  More updates to follow as our work here unwinds!

0 comments:

Post a Comment