Friday, February 18, 2011

burnt in Busua

February 7

Back to Busua!   With a day off, Jean and I made an escape to Busua for a little sun and some much needed relaxation for the day.  The sun is getting stronger and sneakier, finding ways to get you when you least expect it.  Although doused with 45 sunscreen, I awoke the next morning with a very red belly.


Off I went on a quest to find some aloe vera to ease my suffering.  In the market, I asked a few ladies where I could find some.  They asked why and I showed them my rosy tummy.  Looking baffled, complete confusion set in.  One woman pressed my tummy watching the fingerprints they left on my skin turn white and then fade back to red again.  I will never forget what came next:  “The sun?  The sun did this to you??” - totally bewildered.  Oh right.  Ghanaians don’t burn...

 I was able, however, to leave the market with a bottle of aloe and many prayers for a speedy recovery – their reactions almost making the burn worth it... almost.

0 comments:

Post a Comment