Sunday, January 23, 2011

oh I just can't wait to be king...


We went out for dinner and dancing tonight at a place in town called KQ.  Devon from the last group recommended we go there – an outdoor restaurant with an awesome live band... complete with “Bongo Man” and “Trombone Man.”  There, we met some young professionals in the Rotor-Act club. 

Ebo, sitting beside me, told me about his mom who is a King.  I asked why she is called a King instead of a Queen and the story that followed pretty much blew my mind... 

In his hometown, the royal lineage is passed through his maternal side.  There was a conflict between another town (or within the town... I’m not sure), and so his uncles were asked to go and fight.  If whoever went won, they would be declared King.  His uncles refused to go until finally his mom stepped up to the plate and SHE decided to go and fight.  And so, she was declared the first female King and remains King of that town. 

Amazing!  3 cheers for the ladies!

3 comments:

Melody Stevens said...

I love it! I totally think women can be kings. And so did Queen Elizabeth I...she often called herself a Prince. This blog is great, T. Keep the good works and good words coming! Many hugs.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm so glad you guys went to KQ - isn't Fred a great dancer?!!? Hope you are enjoying Takoradi. Great blog!

- Devon

danamite said...

It is so cool that you met people from Roteract - that is the college age Rotary Club - it is pretty neat to see how Rotary is present all over the world.

And OF COURSE that story kicks ass...

Post a Comment